DIC to actin training data

DIC to actin training data  

By: jianxuchen on April 5, 2024, 12:05 p.m.

It seems like there is no training data from DIC to actin. Is this intentional? Or by mistake?

Re: DIC to actin training data  

By: dorian_kauffmann on April 5, 2024, 1:28 p.m.

Hi jianxuchen,

Yes this is normal.
Unfortunately we were unable to acquire actin images in DIC for the training database...

By: JasonMendoza2008 on April 5, 2024, 5:06 p.m.

I think the answer is no but just to make sure, we also never have more than one input channel type (DIC or PC or BF) for a given image right? We can have it at different z as a natural way of augmenting the data but never do we have the same image in DIC and PC for example?

Last edited by: JasonMendoza2008 on April 5, 2024, 5:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: dorian_kauffmann on April 8, 2024, 8:30 a.m.

This is a very good point thanks for asking.
Indeed there is only one modality for the input images, BF only or PC only or DIC only.

By: jianxuchen on April 8, 2024, 2:43 p.m.

personally, i understand the goal of evaluating generalizability. But, I am not sure how meaningful it is ... In practice, I am not sure if people will train a BF --> actin model and run prediction on DIC images ... Maybe when after the challenge is done, there could be additional analysis to investigate different aspects of generalization.

By: dorian_kauffmann on April 9, 2024, 9:08 a.m.

You're absolutely right.
And that's why we're going to draw up a more specific evaluation and metrics board than simply aggregating the metrics.
Grand Challenge offers us the advantage of not having to normalize the metrics to obtain a ranking - "the mean position" in the leaderboard.
But, don't worry, the result of each evaluation (the predictions.json file) also contains information on z deviations and modalities (BF, PC and DIC).

Thus , we won't just be evaluating overall scores (the dream of widespread uses), but also modality scores and z-deviations scores (the other aspects of generalization you mentioned).

By: JasonMendoza2008 on April 9, 2024, 11:17 a.m.

Will we get the 30 images of the phase 1 test set available when phase 2 begins? Maybe we could train on the DIC to actin images in there even if they are very few of them?

By: dorian_kauffmann on April 9, 2024, 1:52 p.m.

As we want to keep the possibility of repeating the challenge, we won't be making the Phase 1 test images available to keep the GT images secret.
If several images had an actin channel, we would have considered making them available,
but, only a few images have actin in phase 1.