Visualize 5 sequences together for the same patient and same study? What is this alignment?

Visualize 5 sequences together for the same patient and same study? What is this alignment?  

By: melhzy on June 3, 2022, 7:28 p.m.

Hi community,

I am still reviewing the datasets. This time I am looking at the patient-study of 10016-100016. It has 5 files associated with this study: _adc.mha, _t2w.mha, _sag.mha, _hbv.mha, and _cor.mha.

10016_1000016_adc.mha

10016_1000016_t2w.mha

10016_1000016_sag.mha

10016_1000016_hbv.mha

10016_1000016_cor.mha

All Together

When I am viewing all 5 mha files together in 3D, I see overlaps and images are not aligned very well. It seems these 5 scans for this study are taken from slightly different positions of patient's body.

If anyone can clarify the All Together image alignment issue? Thanks.

Last edited by: melhzy on Aug. 15, 2023, 12:56 p.m., edited 5 times in total.

Re: Visualize 5 sequences together for the same patient and same study? What is this alignment?  

By: joeran.bosma on June 7, 2022, 12:20 p.m.

Hi melhzy,

Thanks for your query. I am not sure I completely understand what you're after, please indicate if I did not answer your question. Prostate bpMRI examinations consist of T2-weighted imaging (T2W) and diffusion imaging (DWI).

The T2-weighted imaging is acquired in three directions: axial ([....]_t2w.mha), sagittal ([....]_sag.mha) and coronal ([....]_cor.mha). See here -> Planes of the Body for a depiction of the planes. Each scan is acquired with anisotropic spacing (the through-plane spacing is much larger than the in-plane spacing). When displaying these scans in ITK-SNAP, you can see each one of these three is high resolution in one plane:

The diffusion images are acquired in the axial plane of the patient. From these diffusion images, the Aparent Diffusion Coefficient ([....]_adc.mha) and high b-value ([....]_hbv.mha) scans are derived (or, in some cases, measured). Therefore, these two will be aligned with the T2-weighted scan in axial direction ([....]_t2w.mha).

Kind regards, Joeran

Last edited by: joeran.bosma on Aug. 15, 2023, 12:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Visualize 5 sequences together for the same patient and same study? What is this alignment?  

By: melhzy on June 7, 2022, 7:22 p.m.

Hi joeran.bosma,

Thanks for your explanation and appology for the confusion. Your explanation was very clear.

I am using 3D Slicer. SD Slicer has a function to plot multiple 3D images on one 3D diagram. When I plot these 5 mha files together on one 3D diagram for one patient/one study, they are not perfectly aligned together. I was wondering why am I seeing that mis-alignment in 3D Slicer.

melhzy

By: leo.alberge on June 8, 2022, 2:41 p.m.

Hi,

We encountered the same issues: DWI images and T2 images are not registred, the issue is that groundtruth resampled segmentations (when segmented on DWI series) are not properly aligned with corresponding T2 sequences.

Léo

By: anindo on June 8, 2022, 6:14 p.m.

Hi Z. Huang and Léo Alberge,

Regarding the purpose of different prostate MRI images, and why they can cover a slightly different field-of-view and be misaligned w.r.t. each other, you can refer to this paper:

Regarding the "original" and "resampled" labels:

• All axial bpMRI sequences (T2W, DWI/HBV, ADC) per case, were used to localize and annotate csPCa lesions. However, depending on the annotator/center and their preference, some annotations have been mapped or created at the spatial resolution of the T2W image, while others have been created at the resolution of the ADC or DWI/HBV images. These original annotations are available in: picai_labels/blob/main/csPCa_lesion_delineations/human_expert/original. For every annotation in this folder, even if the annotation clearly maps to DWI/ADC observations, if it has the properties of T2W imaging, then indeed this annotation was made on T2W imaging (while accounting for observations in DWI/ADC images as well). Similarly, the opposite is also possible. You can determine which sequence was used to segment the tumor(s) for a given study, by looking at the spatial resolution of its annotation file.

• For a given case, we expect your AI model to predict a csPCa detection map with the same spatial dimensions and resolution as the T2W image. Hence, we have also converted and provided all original annotations at the same dimensions and spatial resolution as their corresponding T2W images, here: picai_labels/blob/main/csPCa_lesion_delineations/human_expert/resampled.

For cases without any substantial inter-sequence misalignment, either of these annotations should be equally valid for all images of the study. For cases with substantial inter-sequence misalignment, annotations will directly correspond to either T2W imaging or DWI/ADC imaging. Note, all cases in the Hidden Validation and Tuning Cohort and Hidden Testing Cohort with any substantial inter-sequence misalignment have been manually co-registered by the organizers. So you shouldn't worry about this at test-time. But for training, this can certainly be something worth exploring.

You can choose to directly use the "resampled" annotations, or preprocess and incorporate the "original" ones, depending on your overall preprocessing and training strategy. Next week, we plan to release picai_baseline: a GitHub repo of baseline AI models that you can use to kickstart your development cycle. Its goal is to help developers get familiar with the end-to-end pipeline of preprocessing prostate bpMRI data, training an AI model for csPCa detection/diagnosis in 3D, and encapsulating the trained AI model in a Docker container for submission to the leaderboard. So you can also refer to those models and their source code, to inform your strategy on which data to use and how to use it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by: anindo on Aug. 15, 2023, 12:56 p.m., edited 2 times in total.