Question about perceptual loss

Question about perceptual loss  

By: MountainHill on July 10, 2023, 6:28 a.m.

Hi, I'm wondering if perceptual loss can be used for training in this challenge. Perceptual loss typically relies on a network pre-trained on imagenet for loss computation, but I did notice in a previous post that the pre-trained networks were not allowed to use as backbones. Thus I would like to check if using perceptual loss is considered as using pre-trained backbones. Thanks!

Re: Question about perceptual loss  

By: mmaspero on July 10, 2023, 8:42 a.m.

Dear Han,

Thank you for the question. Perceptual loss can be used as loss function assuming that the weights are not updated during the training phase. With pre-trained models, we aim to avoid transfer learning for the image synthesis.

Best Regards,

Matteo

By: thomashelfer on July 30, 2023, 8:15 p.m.

Dear Matteo,

just to clarify, in this sentence: " Perceptual loss can be used as loss function assuming that the weights are not updated during the training phase" Do you mean that the weights of the pre-trained network used for the perceptual loss cannot be updated or the weights of the network used for image synthesis?

best Thomas

By: mmaspero on July 31, 2023, 6:51 a.m.

Hi Thomas,

The weights of the perceptual loss cannot be updated. The weights of the synthesis architecture can be updated but should be trained from scratch on the provided data.

I hope this clarifies,

Matteo