Annotation Confusion

Annotation Confusion  

By: Rawanrb on Jan. 28, 2022, 1:06 p.m.

Hi,

I am facing a problem with the annotations as I am unsure about the tumor-associated stroma. I found some slides annotate the tumor tissue surrounded by stroma as tumor-associated stroma, while others annotate the stroma that surrounds the tumor tissue. Could you please clarify? I am talking about the whole slide image tissue annotation with annotations-tissue-bcss.

Thanks!

Re: Annotation Confusion  

By: f.ciompi on Jan. 28, 2022, 2:37 p.m.

I am not sure I fully understand your question, there is one class called "tumor-associated stroma" that is used to annotate the stroma that is associated with the tumor, meaning mostly confined within the bulk of the tumor. There is no "stroma" class, only the "inflamed stroma", which is essentially mostly the same as tumor-associated stroma but with a high presence of lymphocytes. The rest of stroma, let's say the "healthy" stroma is mostly contained in the "rest" class. Because you refer to the bcss annotations, as explained we relabled the original classes using the mapping that you can find in the Data section. If you could point us to the specific case that you mention, this would be helpful to better understand your problem.